Often shylock is referred to as the villain in The Merchant of Venice, however; he has been the victim of Christian prejudice on umpteen occasions of which can be seen in set I, scene III as well as the ever famous trial scene (Act IV, scene I). In the introductory instance stated in Act I, scene III, in his speech to Antonio, though it is not of the present, shylock reveals that he has borne insults from and was in one case tormented with words by the Christians in the play.
Signior Antonio, many a time and oft
In the Rialto you have rated me
About my moneys and my usances.
windlessness have I borne it with a patient shrug,
For sufferance is the badge of all our tribe.
You call me misbeliever, cut- throat computer-aided design,
And glossa upon my Jewish flesh garberdine....
It is so ironic that Antonio even offers to follow money from shylock, a Jew, whom he so despises. Furthermore, how can he want to borrow money (three thousand ducats) from a dog that he spat upon? Is a dog capable of change money? Antonio, to show his true image with amplified prejudice replies,
I am as like to call thee so again,
To puke on thee again, to spurn thee too.
If thou wilt lend this money, lend it not
As to thy peers- for when did friends take
A breed of barren metal from his friend?-
But lend it...If you want to get a right essay, order it on our website: Orderessay
If you want to get a full essay, wisit our page: write my essay .
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.